Sunday, August 18, 2024

The Weight of Waiting


In many ways, we live in a society of instant gratification.
We can use drive-throughs for food, banking, and med pickup. Even groceries can be called in and ready for us when we arrive.

I don’t know about you, but I’m thankful for cell phone instant communication, even if it takes 40 texts to cover a conversation that might have taken five minutes by phone. Of course, that’s if we didn’t have to wait for a return call after leaving a voicemail.

The weight of waiting affects us all. For me, waiting for a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment plan seemed pretty weighty. I had a year of treatments, and, thanks to God, they worked!

Twice I was a caregiver. Two and a half years for dad, and two years for my husband. Days dragged by for all of us. My waiting weight was lifted daily by Lamentations 3:22-24. Fresh NEW Godly mercies, what could be better?

I study the Book of Psalms quite often. Today, in Psalm 40, David poured out his heart to God from a miry pit of despair. Oozing mud bogs you down. 

David declared that God lifted him out of his emotional pit, steadied him, and gave him a new song (v. 1-3). We know it’s usually happy people that sing. I remember when I first got engaged and we were driving from California to Arizona to tell my family. While driving, my fiancĂ© burst out in song about us, and it made me happy to know he was happy.

There is joy in trusting in the Lord and in doing His will (v. 4, 8). David declared this to be true because of God’s mercy shown by His unfailing love and faithfulness (v. 10-11).

God is as available to us as He was to David. The LORD is good, and His loving devotion endures forever; His faithfulness continues to all generations (Psalm 100:5 BSB).

Like David, let’s trust in God and pour out our hearts to Him. With renewed hope, don’t be surprised to feel some relief from the weight of waiting.

*All Scriptures from The Holy Bible, Berean Standard Bible (BSB), Published by Bible Hub, Pittsburg, PA, USA, Copyright 2022; Used by permission.

Pixabay Photo: Business Man, Men's Suit; gy geralt/GerdAltmann

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.