Sunday, August 25, 2024

From Inside Out


It’s hard to tell what a person is thinking if they are quietly resting somewhere.
If they were dancing, singing, or waving their hands we might guess they were happy. If they wore earbuds, we might think they were listening to some moving music.    

Some people are more outgoing than others; I’m one of the quieter people. My friends like to tease me about my phlegmatic attitude, but I’m not without opinions. They see me riled up now and then.

What we carry on the inside matters. Sometimes angry people seem calm until something sets them off. Have you ever been the shocked recipient of such an outburst?

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. Read it sometime. While writing about the value of God’s word, David said, “I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You” (Psalm 119:11). 

How much time have you spent reading, studying, or meditating on God’s word this week? We make time for things that are important to us. A daily devotional is good, but it’s more like a spiritual snack. You need a more nourishing scriptural meal sometime each day.

Here’s another question: Have you listened to any Godly music lately? Paul said we could encourage one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, while at the same time giving thanks to God in our hearts (Ephesians 5:19-20). Remember Psalm 100? Praise and thanksgiving help us enter into God’s presence.

There is a time for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Sometimes I meditate quietly on the goodness of the Lord, and sometimes I join with others in outward worship.

At church, I want to be actively involved, not just stand there and never move my lips even if I don’t know the song well. The amazing thing is that I often have one of the worship songs come to mind at home. And here I thought I wasn’t learning anything!

*All Scriptures from The Holy Bible, Berean Standard Bible (BSB), Published by Bible Hub, Pittsburg, PA, USA, Copyright 2022; Used by permission.

Pixabay Photo: Seagull, Man, Sea; sahinsezerdincer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.