Sunday, July 25, 2021

That Bitter Root


“Could you get rid of those wild roots again?” I pointed to a small six-inch area between my patio steps and a wall. My yard man had dealt with these before.

The problem is they shoot up in a hard-to-reach area. When I finally notice them, I know they must be taken out. Ignoring them will just produce something that seems out of place, unplanned.

Roots are important for plant growth. But wild roots are not so good. We don’t choose them; they just pop up in places we least expect them.

I always enjoy picturesque language. One of my favorite examples is in Hebrews 12:14-17 (NKJV) where Paul is encouraging people to be in the right relationship with each other, and with God. He says a root of bitterness springing up can cause trouble and corrupt relationships.

This seems to be a characteristic of “weeds”.

I learned this the hard way. In my blacktopped driveway I noticed a little green sprout in a small crack. I ignored it day after day. Finally, it was so big I had to notice it!

With both hands, I pulled hard but it wouldn’t budge. When I asked my yard man to do it, he actually had to dig around the roots to remove it.

Bitterness can spring up through disappointments in life. Naomi, in the short Book of Ruth, is a good example.

Due to a famine, her husband moved her and their two sons to a foreign country. There her husband died, and her boys married women from a different culture. Years later her sons also died and Naomi decided to return to her homeland.

Her son’s wives said they’d go with her, but she encouraged them to stay with their people. Orpah remained, but Ruth clung to Naomi and insisted she would not leave her.

Naomi returned to her homeland a changed woman. She said, “Don’t call me Naomi, call me Mara because God has made my life very bitter” (Ruth 1:20). She didn’t realize God had many good things ahead for her.  

Life without problems is impossible. Scripture says each heart knows its own bitterness, and bitterness defiles relationships (Proverbs 14:10).

Things that are defiled lose their value, or their beauty---they’re no longer desirable.

Are you aware of even a tiny root of bitterness in your heart? Don’t let it become a strong-rooted weed.

Consider praying David’s prayer: Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalm 51:10). God is happy to pull that bitter root and give you a fresh start.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.