Sunday, July 4, 2021

Unity and Diversity


Oh, how I love those two words. Why? Because both are strong in their own right, and when they decide to work together there’s even more power!

Unity is defined by a oneness in spirit or purpose, people in agreement. Diversity, on the other hand, shows up as people who are varied, or dissimilar.

We are born in diversity.  Did you have a say as to the family, culture, or country of your birth? No? Me, neither. 

Then we were further diversified through family training, education, and cultural expectations of our country and community.

On the other hand, unity is a matter of choice. Think of it as harmony.

Any musician can tell you harmony is created by several notes sounding at the same time. The reason it pleases the ear is that they are blending together purposefully. There is no dominant single note.

People who choose to live in unity create a pleasant atmosphere in general.

At one time I had the privilege of attending what I called “a world-class church.” There were several thousand in the congregation, and we were diversified beyond just nationalities.

We had a wide variety of age groups as well as economic and educational levels. Professionals worshiped weekly beside homeless citizens.

Unity in Diversity is more than a great slogan. It’s a choice that can improve lives. Years ago, I wrote a poem called “Words of Life.” I still think it’s meaningful, but I’m giving it a new title:


 UNITY and DIVERSITY
Darlis Sailors (2021)
 
Words have length and words have power
Say “I” and it marks my place
The world is big, and I am in it
 
Say “you” and life gets larger
I admit that there are others
I have a place, but so do you
 
You and I can join as one
Show strength as “we,” a force for change
We, as a team, produce good or evil
 
Alone I am one, my choice
With you, I must learn to give
Our spaces touch and a new vision emerges
 
How will we live---part you---part me
Our plan is formed with give and take
Small words of life with power
Unity and diversity
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.