Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Search


I had just completed a lovely visit with long-time friends. Now it was time to fly home.

We arrived early at their small airport. As expected, I was first in line. What I didn't expect was to be the last one out.  

I was “wanded,” no surprise there. The big surprise was being pulled aside and wanded again.

Next, I was asked to step to the far side of the room where they pulled a curtain while a lady patted me down. 

Then I watched while someone unpacked every item in my suitcase and another emptied my purse into a tray.

Thankfully most people ignored me as they came through the line. One lady, however, looked at me and said, “That happened to me once, too.”

Tamping down anger, I said, “If I knew what I did wrong, I’d never do it again.”

“I noticed you rolled everything up instead of laying it in your suitcase. My kids told me that’s considered suspicious because things can be more easily hidden.” She moved on.

I have yet to fly again, but when I do, I’ll try her suggestion.

King David wrote a famous psalm regarding a different search:  Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24 (NIV).

His goal was more important than passing through airport security. He wanted to pass God’s inspection. When made aware of things he needed to change, David humbled himself with another prayer.  

It had six requests: (1) Create in me a clean heart, (2) renew a loyal spirit within me, (3) do not banish me from your presence, (4) don’t take your Holy Spirit from me, (5) restore to me the joy of your salvation, (6) and make me willing to obey you (Psalm 51:10-12 (NLT).

I hated every moment of the airport inspection. In a small space, it was public and humiliating. But, like King David, I am open to a search of my heart by almighty God.

God’s search is a private matter, and I’m grateful. It’s a source of peace, not humiliation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.