Sunday, February 5, 2023

LET'S GET ACTIVE


While flipping pages in a small notebook I found tucked in a drawer, a 3 x 5 card fell into my lap.
It was a fun find and a reminder of how I always look for action words.

It wasn’t dated, so I have no idea when I wrote out Psalm 100 with the action words in capital letters. It’s a very small chapter in the Bible, only 5 verses, but it’s packed with directives on how to worship God and why.

The card looked like this:

PSALM 100

                SHOUT for joy to the LORD all the earth.

                SERVE the LORD with gladness.

                COME before Him with joyful songs.

                KNOW that the LORD is God. It is He who made us, and we are His;                        we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.

                ENTER His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise

                GIVE thanks to Him and

                PRAISE His name

      1.             For the LORD is good, and
      2.             His love endures forever;
      3.             His faithfulness continues through all generations

The card was not dated. Neither did it indicate which translation I was reading. The mystery was partially solved when I found my favorite study Bible, a Thompson Chain-Reference Bible in an older edition of the New International Version (NIV).

Even now I enjoy looking at those underlined verbs, or action words: Shout, Serve, Come, Know, Enter, Give, and Praise.

To me, they indicate a God who is open to a relationship with us. Entering His gates is a good beginning, then we go further into His courts.

Serving God brings joy into our lives, and expressing our thankfulness for His goodness brings joy to Him, too.

Knowing we are the sheep of His pasture always reminds me of Psalm 23, which I memorized as a child and often review.

Finally, if I can’t think of anything to praise God for, the last verse gives me a good jump start.

There you have it. Look it over again. What can Psalm 100 do for you?                  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.