Sunday, February 19, 2023

Ecumenical Evangelical


That’s a mouthful; I can’t say it very quickly.
When I heard the term, I was drawn to it, partially because of my father.

As a minister for over fifty years, he exemplified trying to dwell in unity in his pastorates and the community.

He would always join the local ministerial association. On vacations, we attended churches outside our denomination, and I remember him telling me, “Even if there are no kids from your church in your school, you can always find someone who loves Jesus.”

Thanks to Dad, I grew up with friends from various denominations. Our commonality was faith in Jesus and the Word of God.

While preparing tax papers this week, I listened to PRAISE interviews. I DVR these programs on TBN and watch them when I can. It was interesting to hear Dr. Ed Young share his life and ministry at Second Baptist Church in Houston, TX.

I haven’t heard of many churches named “Second” anything. In my mind, it speaks of humility. He said the goal of this church has always been unity in the community. His congregation has many different ministries to meet the needs of people in their city. With over eighty thousand members and many campuses, I’d say they are meeting that goal quite well.

In speaking about being in fellowship with other churches, Pastor Young said, “We need to be Ecumenical Evangelicals.” Immediately, Dad came to mind.

My NKJV Study Bible titles three awesome prayers in John 17: (1) Jesus Prays for Himself, (2) Jesus Prays for His Disciples, and (3) Jesus Prays for All Believers.

That third prayer (verses 20-21) says, “I do not pray for these alone (the people who believed on Him while on earth), but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.”

In Psalm 133:1, David declared, “How good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!” It doesn’t happen automatically. Each of us has to choose to be concerned about others, not just ourselves.

Christian unity is the power behind many organizations meeting needs all over the world. Glory to God! May this continue!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.