Sunday, October 1, 2023

Joy Beyond Tears

How often have you seen a grown man cry? Not often, would be my guess. There are times, however, when tears are comforting and just the release of pressure that is needed.

That's what you would have seen back in 2007 when my husband and I had just gotten out of the doctor's office with the report on my breast biopsy: Cancer, Stage 3, immediate treatment needed. 

Out in the car, we shed our tears, then said, “We’d better get on over to the recommended Oncologist’s office.” It had many chairs, nearly all filled. I was not very used to medical scenes because I’ve enjoyed generally good health for most of my life. I sat there thinking this felt like a cattle call, and then I thought what a strange term!

My name was called and my new life began. The interview covered health history, recent medical reports, and insurance. Then I was given an almost immediate appointment with the oncologist.

This wonderful woman did not let me out of her office until she had personally booked my lab work to be done that very day, a MUGA test for my heart, and my next appointment. Her plan included chemo, surgery, and radiation.

My case was unusual in that I not only had Stage 3 Breast Cancer but Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). It was so painful I couldn’t bear to wear a seatbelt or have any pressure on my breast at all.  

What kept me encouraged through 9 months of treatments was God’s word. I found hope in the Psalms. I was reading Psalm 84:5-8 (NLT) this week and it reminded me of the joy I found while walking through my valley of tears.

Verse 5 says, “What joy for those whose strength comes from the LORD.” Verse 12 adds “What joy for those who trust in you (LORD).    

God’s word is true. I experienced joy beyond tears during my cancer journey. Perhaps you’re on a tearful journey of your own. I encourage you to find a translation you enjoy and look for hope in God’s word every day.  

1 comment:

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.