Sunday, October 15, 2023

You Can Count On This


Recent world events have people on edge. The signing of certain peace agreements had given us hope for the future. When a friend recently quoted 1 Thessalonians 5:3, I inwardly brushed it off. It says when people say peace, peace, sudden destruction will come.   

That section of scripture refers to the Lord's second coming, but scripture also comes true on several levels. In hard times we seek for an anchor. We want something to believe in, something to hold us steady. What can we do?

Movies have given us some memorable songs about confidence. In The King and I we learn when we’re afraid we can whistle a happy tune. In Sound of Music, we learn we can be encouraged by thinking of our favorite things. As much as I enjoy these musical productions, I have a different way of gaining confidence.

I find it in God’s word, for several reasons: (1) God has said not to be anxious about anything, but to make our requests known to Him (Philippians 4:6 NKJV), (2) I have read a great many testimonies, from our times, as well as centuries before us, of answered prayers, and (3) God has given us His word with a purpose.

After using an example of the trustworthiness of rain to make things grow so we can have food, Isaiah 55:11 (NKJV) says: So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Read the Psalms and you’ll see David pouring out his heart to God. You’ll also see praises and songs of thanksgiving to a God who answers prayer.

After decades of following David’s example, I can tell you God does hear and answer prayer.

God always keeps His word. As you read scriptures in your Bible or on your cell phone, note those that really speak to you. As I studied Psalm 27 this week, the last verse reminded me that answers to prayers are not spontaneous. We are to place our confidence in His word and not give up.   

Photo: Pixabay, Harvest Background, Sunset: akirEVarga 

1 comment:

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.