Sunday, September 24, 2023

The World in Words


I’ve always enjoyed words.  
Mom was a whiz at Crossword puzzles. Not me. I preferred Word Search. We both enjoyed Scrabble, but try as hard as I might she was always the winner.

Writing was always my thing. I wrote in my diaries, journaled, and wrote summaries of vacations daily for several years. I started blogging about ten years ago.

I published a *book of inspirational stories, and even wrote a few poems, though I don’t consider myself a poet. Here’s one I’ll share with you:

 *WORDS of LIFE

Darlis Sailors


Words have length and words have power

Say “I” and it marks my place

The world is big, and I am in it


Say “you” and life gets larger

I admit there are others

I have a place, but so do you

 

You and I can join as one

Show strength as “we,” a force for change

We, as a team, produce good or evil

 

Alone I am one, my choice

With you, I must learn to give

Our spaces touch and new vision emerges

 

How will we live, part you - - - part me

Our plan is formed with give-and-take

Small words of life with power

 

This concept of you and me is an ancient one. Jesus is quoted in the New Testament as saying, “All the Law and the Prophets hang on two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-40 NIV). The first is to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind. The second is to love your neighbor as yourself.

Way back in the writings of Moses, love your neighbor as yourself appears in Leviticus 19:18. Something with such a long shelf life deserves our close consideration.

“I,” “you,” and “we” make up our world from day to day. Relationships matter, so don’t give up if you’ve messed up. Do what it takes to give yourself a fresh start.

*REFLECTIONS: Inspirational Stories from Everyday Life, Darlis Sailors, Available from BookLocker.com, copyright 2016.

**Words of Life, REFLECTIONS by Darlis Sailors, P. 165.                                              

1 comment:

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.