Sunday, December 5, 2021

Remember to Look Up

 



Since I no longer live in a metropolis, I sometimes try to enjoy the night sky.
It's funny how, on a clear night, I think I see more stars from my front yard than from my deck in the back.

When I lived in the southwest desert, I used to enjoy night rides away from our community. We would open the top of our Porsche 914 and I’d enjoy warm summer breezes and multitudes of stars while my husband did the driving.

One night I was really excited to see “the man in the moon.” It was the first time I ever saw a face on the full moon, and I haven’t seen one since.

The daytime sky is enjoyable, too. The sun arcs its way around the world, and clouds of various shapes and sizes float by. Sometimes rain, thunder, and lightning show their power, and winter snows appear on a schedule all their own.

Some people can name all the planets, point out the Milky Way and locate the North Star. Others get to see the Aurora Borealis in all its colorful splendor. I don’t fit any of those categories, but I do enjoy the view above me.

Imagine the beauty of the skies when King David was a shepherd boy. With no city lights to ruin the view, there must have been an awesome display of stars in the night sky.

It’s no wonder he wrote Psalm 19. Verse one says, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork” (NKJV). Verse three explains that God plays no favorites. All peoples of the world are treated to the same awesome overhead view.

The Message Bible says, “God’s glory is on tour in the skies, God-craft on exhibit across the horizon.” Think of that!

No matter where you live, remember to look up. And when you do, take a moment to reflect on the awesomeness of what you see. Even a simple “Thank you, God” will give Him glory.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.