Sunday, November 28, 2021

Who Wants to be a Fool?


I don’t know anyone who would rush to raise their hand. In fact, fools often think their identity is hidden when it’s really on full display.

Here’s a big clue: A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back (Proverbs 29:11 NKJV). You could say a fool has a short fuse, but a more accurate description might be they lack self-control.

Can a fool ever appear wise? According to Proverbs, the answer is yes, but I wonder how often that happens? King Solomon’s observation was this: Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive (Proverbs 17:28 NKJV). 

Though we communicate with words, they’re not always spoken. Our modern world floods us with written words, as well.

Would I like to return to a pre-internet world? No, thanks. I appreciate my handy cell phone and laptop communication. How about you?

Faceless communication can be a boon or a barrier. In its early stage, telephones were set up on party lines. People would get upset when they knew people were listening in on their conversations.

I’d say modern internet communication might be an advanced version of those old party lines with a new twist. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, to name a few, let us connect with others, but now we not only expect people to listen in, we want them to.

There is one problem, however, that can’t be ignored. Too many people jump to conclusions, belt off a negative wordy reply, then pat themselves on the back. “I really let them have it!” Like Solomon says, “a fool rages and is self-confident” (Proverbs 14:16 NKJV).

Just remember he who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city (Proverbs 16:32 NKJV).  

 Who wants to be a fool? Don’t raise your hand. I won’t either. I want to use my words to build people up, not tear them down. To quote mom’s adage: “If you can’t say anything good, don’t say it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.