Sunday, November 14, 2021

Practice Pays Off


I used to encourage my piano students to practice. Of course, I knew from personal experience that practicing was not a priority. That emphasis came from parents paying for lessons so their children could learn a skill.

In my younger years, mom and I sometimes worked out a compromise. She would do the dishes while I practiced. I didn’t enjoy doing dishes any more than I enjoyed practicing, but in case you’re wondering, I did outgrow my childish preferences. And, yes, I did feel my practice paid off.

Practice is needed for many life skills. For example, lawyers, doctors, and counselors, after years of training, are expected to set up a practice. Dancers, sports figures, cosmetologists, chefs, tailors, and speakers all acquire job skills refined by practice.

Can you think of any area of life that doesn’t require some particular skill or ability?

Practice is personal, but appearances can fool you. Some people appear outwardly compliant while inwardly harboring resentment. They’re thinking when I get to be on my own, I’m not doing this!

Such rebellion is self-centered. Their mindset is it’s going to be my way or the highway. The problem? Rebellion cuts off good stuff in life.

Skills of any kind take practice. Even positive interaction with others is not automatic. Do you care how you approach or respond to others?  

Life could be less stressful if people gave relationships more thought. It requires no skill to float through life on a raft labeled Que Sera, Sera. That whatever will be, will be attitude doesn't mean you'll always have calm waters. 

A better choice would be a kayak labeled The Golden Rule. Then, even in rough waters, your personal choices would make a difference. 

Jesus made the premise quite simple: Treat others the way you want to be treated (Matthew 7:12).  

Simple does not mean automatic. What part of your life would you like to see become more positive? What skill is needed?

Whatever you decide, get to work. In time you’ll discover practice pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.