Sunday, November 21, 2021

No Need to Wait


Fall has arrived. Once again trees have turned orange, yellow, and red while summer breezes are turning into winter winds.

While shopping for groceries this week, I saw sales on traditional items for Thanksgiving dinner. I heard there was to be a shortage of turkeys this year, but you wouldn’t know it by the stores I was in. I do know that turkey on Thanksgiving Day is a family tradition for many.

Being thankful is a healthy choice. I grew up knowing a merry heart is good medicine (Proverbs 15:13 KJV). In fact, when I was fighting cancer back in 2007, I would crawl into bed and prepare to sleep by thanking God for ten good things that happened that very day.

I was even thankful for small things that made me smile or gave me a merry heart. Things like the antics of a toddler at the mall, a courteous check-in at the chemo center, or a brief call from a friend.

I’m so glad I didn’t have to keep a list and then wait for Thanksgiving Day.

God invites us to give thanks daily. There is a lovely illustration of this in Psalm 100:4:

    • ·     Thanksgiving gets us into His gates
    • ·      Then we move into His courts with praise
    • ·      And in His Presence we continue to give thanks and bless His holy name

If you need a jumpstart on thankfulness, try meditating on verse 5:

    • ·         The LORD is good
    • ·         His love endures forever
    • ·         His faithfulness continues through all generations

Has He done anything good for you or your family in any of these categories?

I still choose to give thanks for ten things at the end of every day. In scripture, there are many admonitions to praise the Lord, but not many lists. 

God is interested in us as individuals, and reasons to be thankful vary for each of us, hour by hour and day by day.

There’s no need to wait for the fourth Thursday in November. Take advantage of your personal freedom and start giving thanks today!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.