Sunday, December 19, 2021

Memory Makers


Most of us never give a thought to being a memory maker, although we are - - - it’s a given as we interact with others. Consider memories of people in your own life, some positive, some negative, I’m sure.

I taught school and worked as an office administrator, but my strongest memories seem to be of church people. I guess that would come from being raised in a minister’s home, plus being married to an active minister for forty years.

It’s so great to be able to choose our thoughts. I enjoy happy memories of people who served alongside my parents, as well as my husband and myself. I’m in good company because the Apostle Paul felt the same way.

He said, “I thank my God every time I remember you” and “I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel” (Philippians 1:3-5). I feel strongly that no pastor can take total credit for church growth. It happens as people use their talents and abilities in a wide variety of ministries to all age groups.

You may think, I never do anything special in church, or out of it. The truth is that every person is a memory maker, even the ones who serve behind the scenes and never expect any recognition.

For example, in our last church, God blessed us with faithful volunteers in our office, Sunday School classes, summer Vacation Bible School, orchestra, choir, library, and kitchen ministries. That list is far from complete.

Another illustration would be the team of people who held an annual parking lot sale. It helped meet the church’s summer mortgage payments when the winter members of our congregation returned north.

Did all people create happy memories? Of course not, but my positive memories far outweigh any negatives. Believe me, doing whatever you can, in a helpful way, makes a big difference in this world.

I'm in total agreement with Bob Hope's famous song: Thanks for the Memories.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.