Sunday, July 28, 2019

God Bless You


GOD BLESS YOU


Cell Phones Do Text Messaging
I’ve been thinking about these three little words since a friend used them to close a recent text message.

I replied, “Thank you, I receive that." In my mind that was like saying “amen” at the end of a prayer.

Amen is a word of agreement, like saying “it is so,” or “so be it.” 

To bless someone is to wish them well. What better way than to call upon God, who is greater than you, to make it happen?

One of my favorite blessings is in Numbers 6:24-26 (NKJV). It’s called “The Priestly Blessing.” Even today I love it when a pastor or priest closes a service with these words:

The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Morning Coffee Goes Good With Bible Reading
While leading the great Exodus, God told Moses to instruct the priests to bless the people with those words.

Bible commentator, Matthew Henry, says the priestly blessing, though spoken to a group, was to be received individually.

The same principle of individuality is indicated in Romans 10:12 (NIV):  “. . . the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him . . . 

Saying “God Bless You” is a way of calling upon Him. But might I give a word of caution? Do not say it mindlessly. It’s NOT a breezy saying like Have A Nice Day.

I would suggest: 1) Don’t say “God Bless You” unless you really mean it, and 2) If someone says it to you, confirm it by saying, “I receive that.”

This three-word blessing can be powerful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.