Sunday, July 21, 2019

Propelled by Hope

PROPELLED BY HOPE

Small Planes Need Propellers

Small planes and motor boats have something in common: propellers. Though they differ in size their purpose is the same: power to get moving.

Humans have a hidden propeller called hope. I think it gets us moving each day. 

In Arizona, as you drive from Wickenburg to Quartzsite, you'll find Hope. It's a tiny settlement in what some would say is "the middle of nowhere." But big signs on each end of town make me smile.

First I read "You Are Now Entering Hope." Seconds later I read "You Are Now Beyond Hope." I enjoy the town's sense of humor.

I always wonder who named this place? Did they find hope and stay there, or did it propel them on?

Even in a car equipped with air conditioning, my trip feels long. There's not much to break up the view. The land on both sides of the road is treeless, filled with lots of cactus and plenty of clear blue sky.
Covered Wagons Were A Rough Ride

I think of pioneers on this road over a century before me. Their trail was dusty, the sun was hot and covered wagons were not a soft ride. Their journey must have seemed endless, but history proves they did not give up.

Wagon trains plodded westward. People moved forward with hope. Some were to join family already established in the west. Others hoped to homestead land or find steady jobs. 

Hope propelled them from the known to the unknown on a daily basis.

I like the practical explanation of hope in Romans 8:24-25 which says, " . . . hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."

Hope is a powerful four-letter word, but it's no shortcut in life.

Read the above definition again. Do you see a couple of words you might like to avoid? How about "wait" and "patiently." 

My mother-in-law, actually named Hope, lived up to her name. As a young mother, she contracted polio and was in an iron lung for months.

Told she would never walk again, she was sent home with braces. But hope burned strong in her heart. She wanted to walk freely.

When I met her years later, she did not even use a cane. I was surprised to hear her story. It was one of hope, faith, prayer and perseverance.
Deserts Do Have Life

Hope may seem no stronger than a whisper inside us at times, but don't push it down. Take it to heart, let it propel you.

When progress seems slow, don't give up . . . persevere!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.