Sunday, August 5, 2018

When the Wind Blows


WHEN the WIND BLOWS*


Just a couple of days ago a strong stormy wind got our attention. My husband and I saw the dark clouds while running errands. We were thankful to be safe inside when the storm arrived.

I've been in major rains before, but this storm seemed even more fierce. From our living room window, we watched the wind blow sheets of rain off our roof and out over the deck.

The electricity went off and on three times in fifteen minutes. I was glad we had a couple of battery-powered backup units for the computer and entertainment center. But the storm reminded me to share a story I had written about another windy day. 

Here it is:

A Photo Reminder

I always smile when I look at a photo posted in front of my desk. I took it on a vacation while trying to keep my balance by leaning against a tree. The wind nearly bowled me over as I was standing on a bluff overlooking a small valley.

I finally decided to enjoy the view from our car, though there was a wire fence in that area.

I thought the fence would hinder my view but I had some great entertainment. A variety of birds did touch-and-go landings on the fence just to the right of my passenger-side window. With such strong wind I was amazed they chose to land on a wire at all.

Finally, a pretty blue bird with a white underbelly landed with his feet about two inches apart. His tail stuck nearly straight up for balance. My photo is a little blurry because I hurried to get the picture.

I thought he would take off quickly like the others, but he didn’t. My husband and I both admired that little bird’s tenacity since he was fighting the same wind we had just fought.

High Winds

You’ve probably heard about winds of adversity. Adversity can be something physical or mental that causes us to struggle. It may cause us to feel perplexed, confused or uncertain and we feel at a loss, wondering what to do.

In Psalm 42:5 David asked himself, Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? In 2 Corinthians 4:8, Paul wrote about being hard-pressed, perplexed, persecuted and struck down. Those are good reasons to be downcast, but both men chose to keep their focus beyond life’s challenges and frustrations.

High Hopes

David encouraged himself with a little self-talk saying, “Put your hope in God for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 42:5).

Paul wrote that in spite of all the adversity he experienced, he was not crushed or in despair, nor did he feel abandoned or destroyed. He chose to focus on things unseen, “since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

Keep Your Focus

As I watched that little bird land on the wire, I wondered what’s your motivation? All the other birds barely landed before they took off! One thing for sure, it was a personal choice.

Like the little bird, we do a balancing act. 

While acknowledging the reality of what our senses tell us is happening, we can move past that to focus on eternal, unseen things known by faith and hope in God and His word.

Remember, when the wind blows and you’re facing adversity, choose your focus and hang on.


Note: Do you know someone who would find this story encouraging? Why not forward it to them?

*When the Wind Blows is from my book REFLECTIONS: Inspirational Stories from Everyday Life (available from BookLocker.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.