Sunday, August 12, 2018

Lighten Up


LIGHTEN UP


Some days are a little heavier in life than others. Whether at work or at home, demands can be made that turn our day upside down. We wake up thinking the day will go one way, then it gets entirely off (our) track.

Now that I’m a care giver again, I see days like that quite often. Being a care giver for a family member means I’m on tap twenty-four seven. If I was employed as a care giver outside the home, I’d have hours at work then time of my own.

Most of the time I feel at peace, but today was one of those days when life seemed just too challenging. After dinner I decided to look through my idea file for this week’s story.

I was surprised by some very humorous items. Most had been shared as emails from friends, but not all. I started to smile as I read them. My focus changed and my load felt lighter.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who needs to lighten up. So, how about sharing a few smiles?

Bumper Stickers

  • He who laughs last thinks slowest
  • Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine
  • Cover me. I’m changing lanes
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
  • Tell me to ‘stuff it’---I’m a taxidermist

Confusing Accident Reports

  • The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.
  • I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law, and headed over the embankment.
  • My car was legally parked as it backed into another vehicle.
  • I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

Punography

  • I tried to catch some fog. I mist.
  • I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I can’t put it down.
  • I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger? Then it hit me!
  • What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Good Humor

Wife:         We could swing by DQ and I could treat you to a small sundae.
Husband:  If I go by myself I can get a big one.

Mom to Little Boy:     We can’t get that. I’m out of money.
Little boy:                  There’s a bank. Go get some.

Mother:  Did you find my message about the sandwich and milk I left you?
Son:       Yes, thank you. But I wanted to leave you a note.
Mother:  What was that?
Son:       Things go better with coke.

There’s more, but I’ll quit here. Now that you think about it, I’m sure you can find your own smiles.

In the New Living Translation Proverbs 17:22 puts it this way: A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.

When life gets heavy, lighten up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.