Sunday, August 19, 2018

Don't Be a Jumper


DON’T BE A JUMPER


Everyone seems anxious to share their opinions now days. Email, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter make it easy.

My question is this: Would more be accomplished if people dug a little deeper, or waited a little longer, before jumping to a conclusion and dashing off an opinion?

Good Stories 


I used to enjoy hearing Paul Harvey share human interest stories on radio. He would lead right up to an intriguing point, then say, “Page Two.”

After an advertisement, he would continue with another side to the story, or behind-the-scenes information. He always closed by saying, “And now you know the rest of the story.”

Jumping to conclusions means making a judgment quickly without knowing all the facts. I used to be a good jumper, but I learned to be more careful.

My Story


I worked in church offices for years and noticed a common practice when people asked for help. Women generally came in alone. But it was not uncommon to see a man waiting in a vehicle outside.

One day a couple got my attention by coming in together. They shared their need and we helped them out. I invited them to church and they came.

As I mentored the wife in a weekly Bible study, we became better acquainted. I learned they had not always been homeless.

They had once enjoyed a good life. The husband was a contractor and they had actually built their dream home.

Page Two!

The house burned down and they lost everything. The wife said, “I just never had the heart to start over.”

Now I knew the rest of the story.


Jumping Instruction #1


When I felt cautioned about jumping to conclusions, the wisdom of John 7:24 seemed applicable. It says, “Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

Appearances are only one side of the story. You don’t have to live long to learn stories have many sides.

I still remember a young man telling me something years ago. I jumped to a conclusion and shot off a reply. 

I’ll never forget how he looked at me and said, “It must feel good to always be right.”

Ouch! My judgment was faulty. I had not taken time to hear the rest of his story.

Jumping Instruction #2


I’d love to say I’m no longer a jumper, but the truth is this: I still have to remind myself that jumping to conclusions is dangerous.

Another good reason for caution is found in Matthew 7:1-2. Jesus said whatever measure we use to judge others will be used to judge us.

Do we want people to see a few things and jump to conclusions about us? Or would we prefer they learn more about our situation?


Caution


I’m now cautious about sharing quick opinions.

Join me. Don’t be a jumper!


1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent reminder. Very well-written! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.