Sunday, July 22, 2018

Can't Stop the Rain


CAN’T STOP the RAIN


As a child growing up on Midwest plains, I was always happy when it rained. To my mother’s dismay, that also included stomping through muddle puddles. It was fine if I had on my rubber boots. But one rainy day created an indelible memory.

As a first grader, I was walking home from school when it started to rain. I was so happy at seeing a big muddy puddle, that I actually sat down in it. I had great fun splashing the water around . . . until mom saw me.

She was extremely upset and brought me inside the house. While changing clothes I got the clear message NOT to do that again! But mom used a real clincher to make her point. She sent me to bed without supper.

That was a first! Mud puddle fascination disappeared on my empty stomach. But it didn’t destroy my joy of rain.


More Rain


In adult years we moved to the coast of northwest Washington. As a newbie, I decided to enjoy a walk in light misty rain. Even with an umbrella I got chilled to the bone. I looked forward to home and a nice hot shower.

Here in northern Arizona, I’m presented with another type of rain. Flashes of lightning and pounding thunder are preludes to cloud bursts. I own umbrellas, but at this stage of life I prefer to wait it out. Cloudbursts are many, but they don’t last long.


A Rainy Day Song


I used to enjoy B.J. Thomas singing “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head.”* The melody and rhythm were catchy, though I never caught all the words.

I recently looked up the lyrics and enjoyed the story line. First, the guy acknowledges that annoying raindrops are falling on his head. Then he decides not to get the blues.

He doesn’t believe you can stop the rain by crying over it or complaining about it. So, he chooses to stay positive and believe for a happier (dry) day. With that attitude, he’s free to enjoy life in spite of the rain.


Rain . . . Now What?


I was thinking about the old platitude “into each life some rain must fall.” Rain seems to be a code for troubles, with many variations. Have you ever truly known a person who lives a totally trouble-free life?

Jesus even told his disciples they would have many trials and sorrows on earth. He also gave words of encouragement with no exclusions.

First, He said, Peace is available in Me.” Second, He said, “Take heart, because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33NLT). After being crucified, God raised Him from the dead on the third day. What could be more powerfully overcoming than that?

We can't stop the rain, no matter how it comes. But we can decide how to respond to it.




*Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head, written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 1969.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.