Sunday, February 11, 2018

Just Make the Call

JUST MAKE the CALL


When we were on vacation in Utah, I was fascinated by long flat-topped bluffs. I know I had seen them before, because most of my vacations have been in the west. But this time they reminded me of old western movies and Indian smoke signals. High places have long been important to communication.

The bluffs that caught my eye were topped with modern signal towers. I know that wireless service companies look for high places to carry signals. We live on a hill and there is one in our neighborhood, but when I use my cell phone I never think about where the signal goes. I just make my call and expect to get a connection.

Unseen All Around Us 

Am I the only one who marvels at the innumerable unseen signals flying through the air? Can you imagine how many cell phones are in use world-wide? And what about radio and television? We enjoy the effects of those signals though we never see them at work.


I turn on the TV and expect to see programs of my choice. I turn on the radio and tune in to my favorite station. It’s amazing how I can settle on one signal though the AM/FM signals are many.

I’ve been thinking about these unseen powers this week. I’m so glad I can enjoy how they work for me, without having to understand or explain the exact process. I know enough to trust that they are there when I need them.

Power On Another Level 

There’s a similar principle at work when we pray. Prayer is simply talking to God and our words are the spiritual signals that fly through the air. Though many people are praying at any one time, prayers do not get mixed up any more than the signals of modern communication in our everyday lives.

Faith is an everyday thing. By faith I pick up my cell phone, dial a number, and expect an answer on the other end of the line. I trust the company, whose service I decided to buy into, will deliver as advertised.

Faith is also spiritual. Hebrews 11:6 says anyone who wants to approach God must believe two things: (1) that He exists, and (2) that He cares enough to respond to those who seek Him. This explanation is simple, but not simplistic.

It's Real 

I grew up seeing answers to prayer in our home and hearing of them at church. For years I read Guideposts magazine and marveled at how God answered people’s prayers. Biographies and autobiographies produced plenty more.

The testimony of many was similar to that of the Psalmist David. He said, “This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles (Psalm 34:6).”

Just Make the Call 

Action is required for both earthly and spiritual communication. Only those who put forth the effort to connect get an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.