Sunday, February 4, 2018

How to be Right All the Time

HOW to be RIGHT ALL the TIME


When I say right I mean doing things in accordance with some reason or set standard.

My thoughts this week were inspired by reading an old book from my husband’s office. The blue, cloth-bound book is titled Will Rogers: Ambassador of Good Will, Prince of Wit and Wisdom by P.J. O’Brien.

I noticed the fly leaf contained an inscription from my husband’s grandmother to another family member, Christmas 1935. She must have bought it hot off the press since that is also the year of publication.

A Noteworthy Person 

I could not begin to list all the notable things about Will Rogers’ life, but here are a few things that impressed me:

He was an excellent roper by age fourteen. That skill enabled him to travel the world and gave him his start in showbusiness.

His wife said, “. . . he doesn’t change his own personality to suit others.” (Maybe he knew the old saying “To thine own self be true.”)

Rogers never signed a contract on Broadway, with Florenz Ziegfeld or anyone else. He said, “My word is good and the other feller’s ought to be, too.” He remained with Ziegfeld for ten years and always considered “Ziggy” the one who gave him his start.

He purchased chewing gum by the gross to keep the Ziegfeld girls from using tobacco, which he believed spoiled a woman’s beauty.

From New York to Hollywood

When he abandoned the stage for moving pictures, Ziegfeld warned him to “watch out for those movie cuties.” Will replied, “Shucks, if your gals couldn’t break me down in all these years, what chance has those in the movies got?”

He humorously commented on his Hollywood stardom by saying, “I’m not a real movie star. I still got the same wife I started out with nearly twenty-eight years ago.”

Hollywood is not the only place short on long-term marriages. And, in spite of current headlines, it’s not the only place that has exploited women for years.

We’re short on people like Will Rogers. It would help if more people set high personal standards and carried them out consistently. Now there’s a word to remember.

A verse in the Amplified Bible says the Lord declares “blessed (joyful and favored with blessings) the home of the just and consistently righteous” (Proverbs 3:33b).

A Big Challenge 

Naturally when I saw the emphasis on consistency, I thought of Rogers. Will consistently held onto his principles and put them into practice. He was blessed and blessed others with many unpublicized charitable works.


By being true to himself, he was right all the time. You can be, too. Follow his example and decide on your own personal standards. Then start putting them into practice and don’t let them go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.