Sunday, January 28, 2018

Change . . . Count On It

CHANGE . . . COUNT ON IT


Can you think of a person, a time or a place that has never changed? I can’t. But examples of change seem boundless.

Change is built into our world from the moment of conception. The first change, for example, is the uniting of sperm and egg. Then the embryo experiences many changes during the next nine months. Pregnant mothers become aware of change as the little one starts to make his or her presence felt in the womb.

The baby’s environment changes at birth, from water to air. People’s feelings change from apprehensive to joyful when the baby gives its first cry.

Beyond Babies 

Change happens in other parts of our world, too. Plants, for example, are changed through cross-pollination. Animals are changed by cross-breeding. The variety of plants and animals seems endless.

Time Changes Things

And what about ghost towns? Talk about change! If you visit a place like Bodie, California it’s hard to imagine it once filled with thousands of people and a rich mining operation. The same thing goes for Tonopah, Nevada.

You can’t miss the changes in that former mining town as you drive through on Highway Ninety-five. Leave the main highway, like we did, and drive down graveled side streets. You’ll see abandoned buildings all around. Weeds and boarded up or broken windows attest to a life now gone.

Moves Create Change 

I’ve experienced a lot of changes in my life with the moves I’ve made, but I’ve never rushed into it. Once I’m sure it’s the right thing to do I start packing. But I admit that on moving day I’m scarce. I don’t enjoy seeing the boxes packed into a big truck. I like following it down the highway even less.

But with a move change is inevitable. Once we arrive at our new destination, I change my attitude. There’s no going back, only forward. I unpack the boxes one at a time and the space changes and starts to become my own. I’m at peace again.

Death Brings Change 

A major change happened in my life this week. My best friend since college days passed away after struggling with physical changes and challenges this past year. We had shared experiences, telephone calls and prayer times together for over fifty years.

Her foster son called one morning and gave me a chance to say goodbye. Along with telling her how much I loved her I said I’d meet her in heaven one day. Why did I say that?

Because I believe in another awesome change. The Apostle Paul taught that earthly perishable bodies will be resurrected imperishable, to enjoy eternal life (1 Corinthians 15:39-44; 15:50-55). Because of Christ’s resurrection we have this hope in Him (1 Corinthians 15:20-26).

I get the jokes about playing harps while floating around on heavenly clouds. But I believe God, the Great Creator, has wonderful creative plans for life after this life.


More change . . . count on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.