Sunday, January 14, 2018

Hugs, High Fives and Hellos

 

HUGS, HIGH FIVES and HELLOS


If I took a survey of what these three things have in common, I would get different answers.

For example, those into English grammar might say, "Alliteration, or repetition of initial sounds.” I’d have to say, “Correct.”

A Social Science major might see them as positive connections in building relationships. I agree, but I’d like to go a little further. I see hugs, high fives and hellos as living in the moment. When people are fully engaged they can happen anywhere.

I did not grow up in a family of huggers. In fact, I didn’t really learn to loosen up until we were part of a church with some young California surfers. I could feel their genuine love and it set me free. When we moved away, I kept their example and went right on hugging.

Younger people enjoy giving high fives. It’s fun to watch smiles as they connect that way, but I’ve also seen another connection. I call them knuckle bumps. Some might call them fist bumps, but whatever you call them, the result is the same---a positive person-to-person connection.


People have used handshakes for centuries to indicate various forms of relationships. There was a time when “to shake on it” meant the deal was sealed.

An example of that is in Galatians 2:9. Paul and Barnabas met with leaders of the New Testament church. As James, Peter and John recognized God’s calling upon Paul and Barnabas to minister to the Gentiles, they gave them the right hand of fellowship and sent them on their way.

It is courteous to shake hands when you greet someone; however, hellos can be accomplished with different body gestures.

In the old west, a man touching the brim of his hat signaled acknowledgement and greeting. Another connection was a nod of the head in passing.

Looking someone in the eye and smiling is another positive way to say hello. But it’s not the how of the greeting as much as the why that matters. Hugs, high fives and hellos at their most basic level are simply positive connections with others.

The opposite of being connected is to be disconnected. Some people prefer to be loners. They keep their head down or refuse to make eye contact. They remind me of an old saying, “When I’m sour, friends are few. When I’m friendly, folks are, too.” But we need to be sensitive to those people and not overpower them with our good intentions.

Hugs, high fives and hellos are all positive choices for building up relationships. Each is a way to fully engage with people around you. Just remember, choose to do what is comfortable for them, not just you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.