Sunday, February 25, 2018

Choose Your POV

CHOOSE YOUR POV


Writers know POV stands for Point of View. But everyone deals with it.

Take people who wear glasses, for example. That’s me. In my last prescription I skipped the bifocals because I can read things close up.

I forgot what a hassle it is to change my point of view when trying to read labels in the grocery store. Off come the glasses, or at least they get pulled down on my nose.

I’ve looked at myself in the mirror like that and I think I not only look old, I feel old. Next time I’m getting bifocals. When it comes to buying glasses I’ve definitely changed my point of view.

A Photographer's POV 


I belonged to a camera club when we lived up north on the Canadian border. I learned about close up lenses versus wide angle options.

Wide angle gives the beauty of the big picture, but close-ups allow you to see the veins in a single leaf, or pollen on stamens in a flower.

In life maybe that's tunnel vision versus peripheral vision. In relationships, tunnel vision can be quite narrow. It could be describe as “all about me.”

Peripheral vision, however, is wider. While focused on me, I’m also aware of you. I see life as “us,” not just “me.”

POV for All Ages

I got a kick out of a conversation between two ladies at a retirement center. It was bowling day, something my friend always enjoyed. She said, “I’m so glad we don’t have teams for bowling. This way if I mess up I only hurt myself.”

A few minutes later another lady came by and said, “I wish we had teams for bowling.” As I listened to their discussion I thought I’d hate to have to manage this place, but I do see the wisdom of the ‘no teams’ rule.

On another visit my friend commented on the center’s monthly activity calendar. She said, “We are always reminded that people are facing different challenges. We have to make allowances for each other.”

That sounded like a healthy POV, not only for a retirement community but for life in general.

POV Can Create Peace or Problems 

Using our point of view to judge others can be a problem. It’s easy to think we have a wide-angle view when, in reality, our view is quite limited. Jesus understood this and gave a caution in Matthew 7:1-5.

He said, “How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?” Judge your personal viewpoint before you try to judge others. Be sure you are not suffering from obstructed or limited vision.

It's easy to focus on the shortcomings of others while being unaware of our own. The Message Bible describes this as seeing the “smudge on your neighbor’s face” while being “oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own.” Ouch!

The Challenge

Choose your POV. Awareness is bound to improve your life and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.