Sunday, June 16, 2024

4 Ways to be Happy


Yes, I know there are more than four ways to be happy.
But my inspirational blogs are short, so I’m sharing four that caught my attention today.

The first way to be happy is to rejoice. That sounds simple enough. It’s easy to be joyful when we’re happy. But wait . . . the Apostle Paul named something specific in which to rejoice. Philippians 4:4 (BSB): “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”

He repeated it for emphasis, so if we’re to rejoice in the Lord, let’s bring Jesus into the picture.

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). That’s a great reason to rejoice!

The second way to be happy is not to worry. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6). Prayers can be short or long. Just speak to God from your heart.

The third way is to be choosy about your thoughts. When I was fighting cancer, I became quite aware that I was not able to think positively and negatively at the same time. I pursued Proverbs 17:22, a joyful heart as good medicine, and focused on positive, true, honorable, and praiseworthy things (Philippians 4:8). This included books, movies, and conversations.

The fourth way to happiness is to practice doing the right thing. Paul encouraged the Philippian Christians to put into practice both his teachings and his life example (Philippians 4:9).

He was even more specific in his letter to the Corinthians: You are to imitate me, just as I imitate Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1). That’s a clear word for today, as well. I’m thankful for the example of sincere pastors, teachers, and mentors, but I must also know and follow God’s teachings for myself.

You can’t do four things at once. Just pick something and get started on it this week:

 Rejoice in the Lord

Pray instead of worrying

Be choosy about your thoughts

 Practice doing the right thing 

BSB: Berean Standard Bible, see Sources

Emoji from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.