Sunday, March 10, 2024

One Mouth, Many Words


Words float through the air with the greatest of ease but have a great impact.
They can be used positively or negatively - - - to build up another’s self-esteem, or tear it down. That applies even to our self-talk.

Here’s an example of a lasting impact. While in high school, I made a call to a friend’s church. I don’t remember why I was desperate to contact her, but at the time it seemed extremely important.

When someone answered, I asked if I could get a message to my friend. When I gave my name, I was shocked to hear the person answer roughly that since my dad was a pastor I should know better than to call a church on Sunday. End of story.

Considering it now, they were right, but which of us always makes the right decision?

Interest in words is nothing new. The Apostle James wrote, “Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing . . . these things ought not to be so (James 3:30 *NKJV). So, let’s consider two varieties of words.

First: Wise words. You’ve probably heard that a word to the wise is sufficient. That’s good, but I think it’s better to remember that from a wise mind comes wise speech (Proverbs 16:23 **NLT). Don’t allow just anyone to speak into your life.

Wise words, like those of the godly, can bring healing, make knowledge appealing, and act like a life-giving fountain (Proverbs 12:18, 15:2, and 13:14 NLT). What a lovely illustration. A bubbling fountain is pleasant to hear, besides being refreshing if we choose to enjoy it further.

Second: Unwise words. These negative words come from the wicked, rather than the wise, and can conceal violent intentions, be perverse (deviating from what is considered right or good), and even act like a murderous ambush (Proverbs 10:6, 10:32, and 12:6 NLT).

Your words are two sides of the communication coin. It’s a flip of the coin whenever you speak; however, it’s not a matter of luck, it’s a matter of intent.

Yes, it’s one mouth, many words. Your words will impact others . . . so why not think before you speak?

*The New King James Bible (NKJV), Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.; Spirit-Filled Life Bible for Students, 1995 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

**Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Photo: Pixabay, Silhouettes, People, by geralt.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Darlis! A friend in California shared this acronym regarding words. “T.H.I.N.K. before you speak… is it Thoughtful-Helpful-Inspiring-Necessary-Kind?” I used the acronym to make bookmarks for my Bible Study group here in Kenya. God bless you for encouraging us!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.