Sunday, March 17, 2024

One Way to Honor God


As I read Psalm 16:4 today I was reminded of an incident in San Francisco.
In my early twenties, I was the pianist for a young group of musicians who were excited to go on a road trip from California to Oregon.

In San Francisco’s wharf area, we separated into groups, agreeing to meet back at a certain time and place. Just as my friend and I were ready to catch a cab and return, a Hare Krishna member approached.

When we said we weren’t interested, he surprised us by asking, “Can you say Hare Krishna?” Puzzled when we shook our heads and said, “No," he asked again. To our "no" that time we added, "We need to be on our way.”

David lived by the Torah. He was probably familiar with Exodus 23:13 where God specifically said His people were not to call on any other god or even speak their name.

I didn’t know that scripture, at the time. I just didn’t see any reason to speak the name of another god.

God’s name is holy. Too many Christians today use God’s name in an empty way, saying “Oh, my God!” as an expression of shock or surprise. It’s even been reduced further to “OMG,” as if that makes a difference.

Perhaps we need to consider more carefully the words in this brief *worship song, written and recorded by Rich Mullins in 1988.

Our God is an Awesome God

He reigns from heaven above

With wisdom, pow’r and love

Our God is an awesome God

People substitute other slang words for God’s name, but I’m not here to judge. I’m here to encourage people to honor God by being conscious of how we use His holy name.

Consider this meaningful prayer of David:  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable and pleasing in Your sight, O LORD, my (firm, immovable) rock and my Redeemer. **Psalm 19:14, AMP 

*Our God is an Awesome God, credited to Rich Mullins in a Wikipedia article about him.

**All scripture marked AMP is taken from the Amplified Bible and is used by permission of the Lockman Foundation.

Illustration by Pixabay, Used by permission: Speech Bubble Icon, TheDigitalArtist. 

1 comment:

  1. Darlis, I cleaned out a vehicle we were selling and found a stack of papers. In them was your letter: A Loving Tribute, Jan 29, 2019. I am so happy to find your blog still up to date and you writing from the wisdom God has given you. You and Rick were always a blessing to us. Thanks be to God for his faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.