Sunday, February 4, 2024

The Proverbial Challenge


I’ve thrown out a one-month challenge and had many takers.
I started by texting a few family members and friends, and then I challenged my email list. Now I’m sending it to an even larger group.

 Here’s My Challenge

Each day in February, join me in reading 1 chapter of Proverbs

After reading, choose 1 verse for the day

Ponder how it applies to you

Yes, February has already begun. No problem. Just read the chapter in Proverbs that matches the calendar date and cycle on through.

This challenge has been good for me. I have read The Book of Proverbs many times, but that was the problem. I simply read it, never taking time to ponder one verse for me, for the day. I can’t believe how I now look forward to my daily quest.

Knowledge is good, but not good enough. Knowledge is an accumulation of facts . . . Wisdom is applied knowledge. Effective living moves beyond knowledge to action.

We each acquire knowledge in a variety of ways. But nothing is really important to us until we decide to apply (or live by) what we have learned.

I’ll share an example of a verse I pondered this week: Proverbs 2:2 (NLT, New Living Translation):

Tune your ears to wisdom,

and concentrate on understanding.

As I pondered tune your ears to wisdom, I thought of how my piano tuner tunes all tones to Middle C. It occurred to me that God’s Word is the Middle C for the tuning of my life. I must listen closely to it.

When I pondered concentrate on understanding, I thought sometimes it takes me a while to “get it”. . . whatever “it” challenges me at the moment. But once I do “get it,” it feels good to move forward.

So, now The Proverbial Challenge is yours. Three things await you: (1) Growth in knowledge, (2) Wisdom through understanding, and (3) Personal improvement as only you can apply it. Enjoy!    

Challenges, Photo on Pixabay by Mohamed Hassan

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.