Sunday, February 11, 2024

An Unexpected Challenge


I took the Proverbial challenge last week.
But finding one verse that speaks to me more than all the others in the chapter for the day is not a snap.

I keep a list of my chosen verses, then for good measure, I put a small checkmark beside them. I’m on a quest, but this will not be the last time I read Proverbs. Future readings might draw my attention to something new, or I may be reminded to work on what I know now.

Once you get through the first few chapters, the verses start to pop. Whether scriptural or cultural, proverbs are short sayings or moral truths that encourage us to make wise choices.

If you want to have some fun with this, Google “cultural proverbs” and you’ll see examples from around the world. God’s word is for all cultures, but I’m sure it presents a challenge for translators.

One verse I marked this week was *Proverbs 9:12, (NLT):

If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit.

If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer.

My first thought was that this was another way of self-care - - - be wise and make good choices. But then I thought of an earlier section of scripture that I had labeled “Wisdom is Rewarding.”

According to Proverbs 3:13-18 (NLT), the person who finds wisdom and gains understanding is joyful. It also says those who hold wisdom tightly are happy. Did you notice joy and happiness are not automatic? We are to find and hold on to wisdom and understanding.

Solomon has convinced me they are worth the effort. Read these five verses in your Bible, computer, phone, or tablet, and ponder them for yourself. Proverbs 3:13-18 lists nine (9) positive results provided by wisdom.

If you’ve found Proverbs to be an unexpected challenge, don’t give up. Personal conclusions are always the most meaningful.

If you're new to this, just read last week’s blog. It’s never too late to do something good for yourself.

*All scripture quotations are NLT, taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by Permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Photo "Proverb, Poetry, Sign," by Peggy Marco on Pixabay.

1 comment:

  1. Todays post is a wonderful reminder of all the wisdom, joy, and happiness Proverbs provides.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.