Sunday, February 25, 2024

Listening Beats Hearing


Hearing is one of our five senses.
It’s a blessing in its own right, but if we train it further into listening, we have an even greater blessing.

I enjoy interview shows. Some great listeners and interview hosts, in my opinion, are Dr. Phil, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., and Sheila Walsh. I mention them because of how they focus on the speaker, listen carefully, and ask follow-up or clarifying questions.  

There are many others, but I want to focus on the value of listening, not the lives of the examples I’ve shared.

As I reviewed my verses this week, I kept returning to Proverbs 18:13, NLT: Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish.

Perhaps you also noticed that verse, plus two supporting verses below it: (1) Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge. Proverbs 18:15; and (2) The first to speak in court sounds right---until the cross-examination begins. Proverbs 18:17.

Notice three basic principles: (1) Get the facts before you speak, (2) Don’t cross off new ideas, and (3) Remember you want to hear both sides of an issue before making a response.  

In my younger years, someone greatly challenged me. Although I don’t remember the details of our conversation, I do remember where we were standing when they said, “It must be nice to be right all the time.”

I knew I had been corrected. I had rushed in with a reply before I listened or asked any clarifying questions.

Social media makes quick communication possible. But sometimes it seems simply an easy platform for uninformed opinions. I’ll admit that trying to get more information, even by texting can become tedious.

It’s a pleasure to talk with friends and family face to face, or at least by phone. It allows for give and take, questions, and clarifications.  

Listening beats hearing. Do yourself a favor and step it up a notch. You might be surprised at how listening improves your relationships.

*NLT is the New Living Translation/Life Application Study Bible copyright 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. All Rights Reserved. (Available wherever books are sold, or check christianbooks.com)

Photo from Pixabay: Word Image/Transformation by johnhain.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.