Sunday, November 26, 2023

I'm Glad to Know You


In this season of thankfulness, let’s consider friends and acquaintances.”  When we are first introduced to someone we say, “I’m happy to meet you.” When we get more acquainted it’s easy to say, “I’m glad to know you.”

Today, two unexpected examples turned up: First, I answered my cell phone and heard my older neighbor say, “We’re locked out of our house- - - could you call a locksmith to help us?”

I was happy to help, but it was a challenge. This was Saturday on a holiday weekend, and we don’t live in a metropolis so options were limited. I called two places, got answering machines, and left my number.

Then it dawned on me that my neighbors were waiting outside their home on a very cold day! I invited them in to stay warm, and she came over immediately. He came later, but she volunteered to talk to the next locksmith. She got another answering machine but left her number.

Nearly thirty minutes had gone by with no callbacks. I was wondering what to do when I thought of our Associate Pastor. He had been of help to my Goddaughter; maybe he could help me. I called and asked if he knew a locksmith. He kindly looked up the number of one who had helped our church.

The locksmith he recommended said he was sorry their mobile man was off today, but he referred me to “Jimmy” at another company. My neighbor called and was told Jimmy could come immediately . . . which he did!

I was sending a thank you text to our Associate Pastor when a scripture came to mind.

In my New King James Version of the Bible, the heading for Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 is “The Value of a Friend.” Verses nine and ten say: Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.

How many times have I received help from a friend? In how many different ways? How about you?

It’s always appropriate to be thankful. Take a little time to reflect on the value of friends, and be glad you are more than acquaintances.

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful and appropriate reminder to keep us all on our "spiritual" toes! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for my neighbors

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.