Sunday, November 5, 2023

Friends are Foundational




Some people say friends are the spice of life
. To me, these are the lighthearted moments when we enjoy an activity together or laugh at a shared pithy quip or humorous quote. They're the feathers that give lift to our relational wings.

But I think foundational friends are needed more often than that. They’re the ones who don’t brush us off in the hard spots of life when we’d prefer to say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” Or, “I’ll think about it later.”

Life is not always that easy on us. We have to keep going and foundational friends stick right with us. When we complete the project, pass the test, or fulfill the assignment they join in our rejoicing.

The Apostle Paul had a habit of naming his friends at the end of his letters. Consider, for example, the friends named at the end of his letter to Colosse (Colossians 4:7-15, NLT):

Tychicus, beloved brother, faithful helper

Onesimus, also a beloved brother

Aristarchus, a fellow prisoner

Mark, a cousin of Barnabas

The one we call Justus sends greetings

Epaphras, a prayer warrior

Luke, the beloved doctor

Demas also sends greetings

Greet Nymphas and her house church

Tell Archippus to continue to carry out his ministry

I could easily name eight or ten friends who are foundational in my life. I’m sure they prefer their names remain private, but a foundational friend is the reason you are getting this blog right now. She knows more about computers than I do, and while I’m trying to learn more about technology, she’s got me covered.

Friends both local and out of town, longtime and new, call now and then to see how I’m doing. That’s always a nice morale boost. And lunches out or dinners at home with family and/or friends give a lift through a break in my routine.

I see a lot of love in these foundational friends. I Corinthians 13:4, NLT says, “Love is patient and kind.” What could be more foundational than that?

On that basis, who would you name as foundational friends?

Illustration: "Friendship" from Pixabay

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by Permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188, All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. What an encouraging message reminder! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They’re the glue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are friends and there are friends who stick closer than a brother!! I treasure all of my friendships, but there are no words to convey my gratitude to the friends that truly have stood by me in difficult times!
    I am enjoying your blogs, thanks❤️

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.