Sunday, November 27, 2022

Unexpected Blessing #3


Unexpected blessing number three took a while to reveal itself.  In one of my favorite movies, the guy and gal pass each other many times, yet never notice one another.

I’ve always thought that’s just a movie, but maybe not. I’m thinking of six ordinary friendly connections with my husband before true love became obvious.

 

Sadie Hawkins Day: This college event was a girl-ask-boy, so two friends and I decided to ask dates to Knott’s Berry Farm. They dared me to ask a guy I’ll call “Ricardo.” While deciding how to fit six people into my four-door Corvair, Ricardo said, “I’ll drive.” Feeling no need to impress, I said, “No, I’ll drive. It’s my car.”

 

A Wedding: Ricardo had known my roommate for years, so he asked if she knew of a pianist who could help with a small wedding. She asked and I agreed, so we drove to a small church nearby. I played for the wedding, then we left. There was no special connection with Ricardo.

 

A Box Social: This was a youth group fundraiser. The guy I was interested in asked how he could bid on my box, so I gave him a hint. My “second mom” in college told Ricardo my secret and dared him to come and outbid my person of interest. I was extremely unhappy when he won and we had to eat together.

 

Choir Connection: Later, Ricardo was called to our small church as choir director where I played the organ. Some of our songs were Black Gospel. When he asked to work with me on some of the rhythms, I was still clueless. To me, it was just a music session.

 

Used Cars: When Ricardo learned of my dream to own a Mustang, we started to connect on long drives to look at used car lots. They weren’t fancy dates, just fun rides and cheap eats at McDonald’s or Jack-in-the-Box.

 

Senior Year Banquet: At this event, it became obvious we had eyes for each other, though we were there with different dates. After graduation, we stayed in the area and became more serious about our relationship.


We got engaged in August and married in early November. God certainly answered my prayers for a Christian husband. The best Unexpected Blessing of my life was a guy I lovingly called “Ricardo.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.