Sunday, November 20, 2022

Unexpected Blessing #2



I was completely surprised by a breast cancer diagnosis in 2007. No one in my family had ever had cancer as a health issue. 

Before this, my husband and I had purchased a co-op in Phoenix. We were engaged in a full-time ministry and it seemed a nice option for brief getaways, plus a possibility for future retirement.

We were clueless as to any other reason for our purchase.

Unexpected challenges arrived after a lump was found during my routine breast exam. The doctor referred me for a biopsy so I followed through, made the appointment, and shared my insurance information.

On the day of the appointment, I checked in and filled out about five pages of new-patient paperwork. When I walked up to hand it in, the medical assistant took one look and said, “We don’t take your insurance.”

I was shocked! “But you did when I made the appointment.”

 “Well, we don’t, now.” She had no further explanation.

I called my insurance agent, who was also surprised, but said she would check it out. She called later to say the company had gone out of business and notified no one, but she would try to locate another provider.

Unfortunately, no local provider was available. That meant all of my care would now be in Phoenix, a two-hour drive one way.

I signed on with the new company and made the necessary appointments ASAP. I was diagnosed with Stage Three Breast Cancer which led to a full nine months of treatments --- chemo, surgery, and radiation.

I’m still amazed at how God was ahead of us on needed housing. The co-op was a small 2 BD/1BA and I turned the second bedroom into a comfortable office.

I never dreamed cancer treatments meant I’d be alone in a big city for almost ten months. The nice thing is that I felt safe in our co-op community.

Coincidence? I think NOT!

Matthew 6:8 (NKJV) says, “Your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.” That co-op was an unexpected blessing for which I will always be grateful.

(Unexpected Blessings: A Series of 4)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.