Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Way I Remember It


Everything we do creates a memory. Memories are part of our human composition. 

Memories are like sunshine and shadow and that variety makes life interesting. It’s one reason I enjoy reading autobiographies. Thoughtful authors acknowledge that others in the same events may not have the same memories.

Have you ever noticed how memories seem to be triggered by our five senses? We smell something and a memory comes floating back. Or we see, hear or taste something that conjures up the familiar. Sometimes they pop up from something we’ve touched.

During the Exodus from slavery to freedom, out in the middle of the desert, people began to remember some tasty food from the old days (Numbers 11:4-6).

Conversations went something like this: “Remember that fresh fish in Egypt? Oh,

and what about those delicious cucumbers and melons we used to enjoy? This daily manna is so unappetizing. What I wouldn’t give to be able to flavor it with some leeks, onions, or garlic.”

Sometimes memories need a little help. The people above had positive memories, but they let them trigger negative attitudes. If caught in such conversations, try to be the catalyst for change.

Happy memories can be a choice. Sometimes I remember especially encouraging people. Other times I relive vacations or special events. I’ve had a variety of jobs and lived in a variety of places. That simply means I find even more memories to enjoy.

Was everything in my life positive? No, but why dwell on the negative?

Psalm 126:3 says, “The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.” Choice memories make it easy to give God thanks, and science has proven that being thankful is a positive trait for health.

If someone disagrees with your memory, you have an out. Simply say, “That’s the way I remember it!”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.