Sunday, August 29, 2021

I Can Take It From Here

 

“This town sure has a lot of dog lovers.” My sister-in-law’s comment was something I had noticed myself, many times.

In the heart of our historic downtown is a lovely courthouse square. It’s a popular place to walk, and many people seem to walk their dogs there.

A few years ago, my husband and I observed an awesome dog!

So many dogs seem to pull on their leash, wanting to sniff and explore. Not this dog. Head held high, he simply trotted ahead of a young couple coming our way.

A little later they returned, the couple eating ice cream and ignoring the dog. The leash had fallen down and was dragging between the dog’s front legs.

Since he was free, we fully expected the dog to trot away. To our surprise, he slowed down, took the leash in his mouth, and kept on with his regal pace.

My husband and I looked at each other and said, “What a dog!” But dogs aren’t the only ones who need to make choices when free.

During COVID lockdown I heard Bible sales went up. That’s great, I thought, but I wonder how many really read or studied the Bible they bought?

When it comes to Bible learning, some people prefer to only be on a leash. They enjoy the pastor’s sermon, the small group lesson, or even the daily devotional online. But once the leash is dropped, they never pick it up to walk forward on their own.

Do you know how to use your Bible? It contains sixty-six books, in two sections---the Old and New Testaments. The books are listed in front, along with page numbers for easy access.

Be glad we live in a time when Bible books are divided up into chapters and verses. Find Psalm 51:10 . . . book . . . chapter . . . verse . . . you’ve got it!!

Your slogan should be, “I can take it from here!” Hold your head up high and enjoy your freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.