Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Promise of "T"


Moving from the Midwest to the Southwest was a big challenge.  One reason was that I was moving with six weeks left in my Junior year of high school.

Another reason was riding to school on a metropolitan bus. I had always walked to school, even being able to get home for lunch! I was very unhappy with the cafeteria on my huge new campus.

I had one bright spot in my day: Mom and her tea. I looked forward to getting off the city bus at our corner, walking into the house, and joining mom at the kitchen table. While we talked about my day, I learned to relax with tea, too.

Mom had a lovely smile and a calm demeanor. Proverbs 15:30 says, “A cheerful look brings joy to the heart . . .” That was mom for me.

It wasn’t that we always talked for a long time. It was just that she made my day seem worthwhile. Proverbs 12:25 says, “Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.” I felt like a dot in the sea of education and city life, but at home, I mattered. Mom took time for me.

“T” means TIME, not TEA! Which human being does not need some exclusive time to be encouraged or made to feel appreciated?

I’m sure you’ve heard debates on quality time vs. quantity time, but to me, that’s not the issue. I think we should simply do WHAT we can, WHERE we can, WHEN we can, with WHOMEVER we can.

Be thoughtful - - - get creative! “T” could include talking, texting, treats, trails, teamwork, or even time for tea! Once COVID releases its social barriers, trips or tickets might be a choice.  

In your world, this very day, you'll find a person---young, old, or in between---who could benefit from some of your special “T”. No one else can do it like you!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.