Sunday, November 15, 2020

Candles and Flashlights

Last week I was watching TV when suddenly the lights went off. I had not been without electricity for years. Two things surprised me---the stifling feeling of complete darkness and the overwhelming silence.

I sat in my recliner, considering the situation. I thought I can see why people in solitary confinement might go crazy after a while. But a few minutes later I started to think now what shall I do?

First, I turned on my cell phone flashlight. God bless the person who designed that option. I used it to retrieve the flashlight on my desk, then I located the special candle created in a jar, plus some matches in my kitchen.

The furnace was off, so I bundled up in a blanket. Then I thought my cell phone works---I’ll make some calls. I even received a couple of calls, though they were surprised to learn I was sitting in the dark.

Later on, the flashlight helped me read. When that became tiring, I decided to rest. I figured the lights would come on eventually. If not, at least I could count on daylight.

The darkness was a wake-up call. But about ninety minutes later the lights came on as suddenly as they had gone off. The first thing I did was turn on the furnace. Then I located a flashlight in each room.

My stifling darkness had been alleviated by light in various forms and different sizes. I was thankful for each of them.

Light comes into our world in different ways, too. The psalmist David declared, “The LORD is my light and my salvation” (Psalm 27:1).

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world (John 8:12 NKJV). He further declared that His followers were to let His light shine through them in good works, not for their glory, but to the glory of God (Matthew 5:16).

Don’t say, “I’m only a small candle.” Don’t even think I’m only a flashlight. Just shine! Follow Jesus and do good. Even a tiny light pushes away the darkness and brings hope around it.        

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.