Sunday, August 2, 2020

Put That in Writing



When people ask us to "put that in writing,"
they're interested in the documentation for future reference. Documents like marriage and birth certificates, deeds, and titles have carried legal weight for centuries.

I used to be interested in ephemera, or paper goods. I collected old calendars, valentines, greeting cards, photographs, postcards, and advertising items. It was fun to read old messages and analyze artistic styles.

Old cards and postcards showed the receiver valued the message enough to save it. I doubt they thought about a finder like me enjoying a peek into their past years later.

Now I'm more into collecting books. In fact, while going through my files this week, I found a well-worn storybook from my childhood.

Books Can Give Long-term Satisfaction 
I also had a favorite childhood Bible storybook. But as I got older, I chose to read the Bible itself. Even in King James English, I found it full of adventure, love, mysteries, and promise.


Now I enjoy the Bible in modern English, but the bottom line, for me, is still the same. It's the wonder of God wanting us to know Him so well that He put things in writing.

Most anyone can tell you the danger of written messages these days. Even a casual Email or Facebook posting can be used against you forever.

Rest assured God's written communication was not casual. In fact, He was so purposeful about it that He declared it would not return to Him empty. Instead, it would accomplish what He desired, achieving the purpose for which He sent it (Isaiah 55:11).

Theologians and historians have plenty of documentation about how the Bible was written, but its real value is in how it helps us connect with God.

There's nothing top-secret about the Bible. God wants us to know Him and He put it in writing.

All we have to do is read it. Then when something speaks to our heart we can talk to Him about it. 

Two-way communication can be very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.