Sunday, July 26, 2020

Are You Sheltering or Isolating?


Cities, Villages, Townships Were All Affected
Shelter in Place was one of the first directives for dealing with Covid-19. What a challenge! The economy took a big hit as all segments of society were affected.

A friend, whose church was closed, had a sign in her front yard: Sheltered by Grace. That was a very encouraging message. Grace has always been explained to me as God’s unmerited favor.

In other words, God will hear my prayers because of who HE is, not because of any goodness on my part. In fact, 1 Peter 5:7 (NIV) says, “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”

My church was open, closed, then opened again. The services are streamed online. So far, I have not felt it’s time for me to return. While sheltering in place, however, I am not isolated from my fellow believers or my fiscal responsibility.

Communication Beats Isolation, For Sure
To isolate would be to remain alone, making no attempt to connect with others. Why do that when I can easily text, call, or email? I’ve also kept the post office busy with some cards, letters, and packages.

The nice thing is that others have connected with me in those ways, too.

A gathering for me just now is one person at a time. The other day I met a friend at a restaurant where they practiced social distancing, limited seating, and servers wore masks.

A couple of weeks ago I met a friend for a picnic. I said, “Would you like to take communion together before we leave?” She said, “Yes! Where two or three are gathered, right?”

What a great response! We read scripture and prayed over the bread and grape juice as if we were in church. She said she felt encouraged, and so did I.

I Can Make A Difference, But How?
Avoid isolation. Think about the advice in Hebrews 10:24 (NKJV):

         Let us consider (think about) one another
         in order to stir up (get ourselves into action, then others)
         to love and good works.

There’s as much freedom and variety in that as there are people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.