Sunday, August 30, 2020

Headlines, Old and New


Headlines are teasers, bits of news to hook our attention. I always read headlines but move right along unless I'm really curious.

In our day we have endless resources for news. Take your pick . . . TV, radio, cell phones, newspapers, magazines, and even social media. No one ever has time to connect with all these, so headlines work hard to grab our attention.

Here's a piece of news: I have seen violence in the city. Day and night they go around it on its walls; iniquity and trouble are also in the midst of it. Destruction is in its midst; oppression and deceit do not depart from its streets.

It sounds like a description of our 2020 city riots: violence, iniquity, trouble, destruction, oppression, and deceit.

In truth, it's really old news, written between 1005 and 965 B.C., by the famous King David. After I read those lines the other day (Psalm 55:9-11, NKJV), I thought people sure haven't changed much over time.

We do have some good news, however. We can follow David's example.

In Psalm 42 David was doing a little self-talk. Times were tough and he expressed his frustration to God.

We can be honest with God, too. He's big enough to handle whatever we tell Him.


Despite what headlines may say
,
 let's appropriate David's words of encouragement: Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God (Psalm 42:11b, NKJV).



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.