Sunday, March 8, 2020

Pay It Forward


PAY IT FORWARD


I was familiar with this phrase because I saw the movie years ago. What I didn’t know was that the movie was loosely based on a novel.
Movies Can Be Inspiring

In Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde, a junior high teacher gives his social studies class a challenging assignment: Think of an idea to change the world for the better, then put it into action.

We all know about paying it back, but one student came up with the creative idea of paying it forward.

A friend laughingly told me of paying it forward in a Starbucks drive-through. She saw one person in the car behind her and said, “I’ll pay for his order, too.” It turned out he was ordering for several other people. She said, “I won’t take one person in a car for granted again.”

The New Restaurant Had A Good Chef
A pay it forward came my way this week. I was trying out a new restaurant and found both food and service excellent. That’s why I thought it strange to wait so long for my bill. Finally, my waiter came and said, “Your dinner was paid for by your friends over there.” He pointed across the room to a couple I did not know.

Someone must have paid it forward, I thought. Then I wondered what’s the protocol? Should I say thank you or let them remain anonymous? As I walked by their table I signaled “OK” and mouthed “thank you.” The lady nodded and I kept on walking.

I walked back to my car with a big smile on my face. That surprise really made my day!

You Can Be An Example To Others
Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35 NLT). And Paul, The Apostle, complimented some believers by saying, “You excel in so many ways . . . excel also in this gracious act of giving (2 Corinthians 8:7, NLT).

Just remember paying it forward does not always involve money. Good deeds work, too. It’s what some call random acts of kindness, thinking of others, not yourself. A street sign near me puts it this way: “Less Egos, More Amigos.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.