Sunday, March 1, 2020

A Tip for Heart Health


A TIP for HEART HEALTH


I’ve been thinking of a comment made by a friend. She said, “I know you went through *cancer treatments. I suppose you’re always waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

Men's Shoes Can Be Heavy
The thought rather startled me. I pictured someone holding a heavy man’s shoe over my head. If it dropped, I was going to get hurt. I could face the reality of that, but on the other hand I felt living in fear was no way to live.

I gave my heart a quick search before I replied. “No, I haven’t felt that way because right from the start I believed God was with me. I chose to put my faith in Him and His Word.”

For example, I found encouragement in John 14:27.  First, Jesus said He would give us His marvelous peace, then He gave some personal instructions.

In the Amplified Bible it says, “Do not let your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid---stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.”

Nothing could be plainer, but in the face of a cancer diagnosis how could I not be troubled?

Do not let means to withhold your permission from someone or something. I realized cancer would be a long journey. If I lived with a heart full of agitation, fear and intimidation, I would have no one to blame but myself.

Allow No Nesting Room for Negative Thoughts 
I was familiar with the saying you can’t keep birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from building a nest there.

In addition to reading scripture and praying, I took notice of my thoughts. I allowed negative thoughts no landing space. Positive thoughts, good humor and laughter were always welcome.

How is your emotional heart health? Rooting out negativity is a great tip. But like all self-care, only you can do it for you!

*In 2007 I was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer. I had both a lump and Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC), which is rare. While I was in treatments for nearly a year (chemo, surgery, and radiation), friends and family joined me in prayer for full recovery. I had a modified radical mastectomy in which I lost my left breast and eighteen lymph nodes. For ten years I had follow-up every six months. At that point my oncologist said, “You’re a walking miracle.” I still have yearly checkups, and continue to pray for God’s mercy upon my life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.