Sunday, February 10, 2019

Personal Puzzles


PERSONAL PUZZLES

My niece can do puzzles of twenty-five hundred to three thousand pieces in about four days. I used to try to find a major challenge for her each Christmas. When she completed every one, I finally gave up.

Puzzles Have Many Pieces
One day I bought a puzzle at a thrift store thinking I’d give jigsaw puzzles another chance. I emptied the pieces out on a table and started sorting.

My niece had said she starts by sorting straight edges and matching colors. I followed her advice and got about three-fourths of the outer edges in place. It was a satisfying to feeling to get that far.

Working on the puzzle now and then, I often referred to the box cover for clues. I tried working a few sections of color at a time but after a few days I’d made limited progress.

I hate to admit it, but this puzzle had only one-hundred pieces. I finally boxed it up and donated it back to the thrift store.

Instead of feeling frustrated, I decided to face the truth. I like puzzles, but only those on paper. I’m in total agreement with 2 Corinthians 10:12 which says comparing ourselves with one another is not wise. I enjoy my booklets of Word Search or the comparison of two pictures to find the changes.

Puzzles Require Time
Human beings are puzzles, too, to themselves, their parents and others. Every generation has learned that it takes a while to put the pieces of our understanding together.

Mary and Joseph were returning home after the Passover Feast in Jerusalem when they became totally puzzled. Jesus was not with their group. As concerned parents, they frantically retraced their steps (Luke 2:41-52).

Relieved to find him in the temple interacting with the teachers, they still asked for accountability. “Why have you treated us like this? We’ve been anxiously searching for you.”

When they heard his answer, they were puzzled. Jesus said, “Why were you searching? Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”

The same scriptures tell us Jesus returned home and grew in four basic areas of life: (1) Wisdom--mentally, (2) Stature--physically, (3) In favor with God--spiritually, and (4) In favor with people—socially.

His personal puzzle took time to put together, just as ours does. But there comes a point of maturity in everyone’s life when they leave home to share their personal puzzle with the world.

Each Life Has Its Own Challenges
As challenging as jigsaw puzzles may be, real-life puzzles are even more so. There is hope for solutions, however. Philippians 1:6 says . . . He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion.

God has never found a life puzzle He could not complete or solve. Would you like some help with your personal puzzle? Just ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.