Sunday, November 25, 2018

Fascinating First Lines: Part Two


FASCINATING FIRST LINES

Part 2


I wrote Fascinating First Lines: Part One before Thanksgiving. My goal was a three-part series, so here is part two:





Hope is the Way to Go
My family had high hopes and a lack of money. But lack of money did not hinder my parents’ high hopes for their children. That meant my brothers and I had to learn to use manners at the dinner table. We also had to be polite to guests and learn to get along with people---all kinds of people, not just those in our social circle.

High hopes meant we had to do our share of chores---not just enough to get by, but do them well. It also meant we had to get good grades in school. Their high hopes developed character in us and prepared us for life outside our home.

At times lack of money was an issue, but love was there. They provided for us the best they could. Vacations were not fancy, but we got away. Clothes were not the latest fashion, but they were clean. Birthdays were not lavish, but they were acknowledged. College was on their hope list, too, and we all found a way to go. Their high hopes had a lasting effect.



Tiny Babies in a Big World
Everyone comes to the world on a journey of self-discovery.  It’s not long before a baby discovers if he makes enough noise, someone will pay attention. Self-discovery continues when he reaches down and touches his toes. Later he learns to gather smiles by touching and naming eyes, ears and nose. And, oh the praise he gets when he learns to use the potty!

Discovery becomes creative when playing with Legos, or crayons, or plunking on piano keys. He learns to distinguish tastes, like sweet, sour or salty. Then comes discovery at school. Perhaps he enjoys math more than language arts, or science more than history. He may not be happy to learn he has to study them all, no matter what.

It’s an important discovery, and one of life’s biggest lessons. It’s possible to do things we don’t enjoy. Life will not always go our way.




Cancer is a Challenge
I’m not a hero, even though I tried to keep from being destroyed by what happened. It’s nice to know that people admired me for facing up to cancer treatments with faith and hope. It was a challenge I never dreamed I’d have. 

I’m not by nature a quitter, but this challenge was bigger than me. God is the One who got me through it. I read His word, meditated on scripture, prayed and determined to remain positive.

I invited Him to go with me to each treatment and every appointment. I challenged myself to be thankful for small things every day. I felt that each day was important. No more taking life for granted, as if I had all the time in the world.



I hope these paragraphs have inspired you.
If so, you’ll have uplifting thoughts of your own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.