Sunday, December 2, 2018

Fascinating First Lines: Part Three


FASCINATING FIRST LINES

Part Three


Mission Accomplished! This week completes my Fascinating First Lines trilogy. If you missed parts one and two, they are archived in New Day by Darlis.


Prickly Porcupine
Who wants to pet a porcupine? Not me. I reach for soft, silky, fluffy things. They are relaxing to my fingers . . . promising to my feelings and comforting to my frustrations. That's why you never see Linus without his blanket. He's smart enough to create his own comfort zone. When I was fighting cancer, I had a small blanket. A friend made it out of soft pink flannel with fringed edges. I touched it and felt cozy. Chemo lost its hold on me. I rested, feeling safe and secure.


Pens Capture Creativity
My pen is my partner. If I wrote mystery novels like Jessica B. Fletcher, it would be my partner in crime. But non-fiction is my game, so my pen is a sword of truth. With pen in hand I write fearlessly into the sunset. Words fly here and there. Truth, as I see it, emerges. Whether others see it as truth is up to them. My pen and I simply work to create an offering.


Thoughts and Actions are Partners
You'll find your way if you push yourself beyond what you think. Life gives new challenges every day. In fact, some days you say, "Enough already," but nothing changes . . . your challenges remain. You stare them in the face and think I've tried everything. But have you? The Bible says "having done all to stand" (Ephesians 6:13). Standing seems like NOT doing anything. But are you willing to tell God He's wrong? That, in your opinion, action is the only way to accomplish victory? Pushing yourself beyond what you think, consider this: Solomon said, "There's a time for everything" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). That could mean a time to work at solving problems, and a time to rethink them. After standing at rest, you may be surprised to see them in a new light.  
   

Waterfront Beauty
It's hard to see the future through staggering personal problems. I used to marvel at the homeless sleeping down by the harbor in San Diego. That was before the city took a harder stance and cleared downtown for the booming tourist trade. Walking by the bay, I often wondered what was the breaking point for these men? But that was before life became harder and I staggered through some personal problems myself. It seemed like one step forward and two steps back, but I kept walking. Financial debt made the future hard to see. I tried budgeting to get me through. It worked, but felt very confining. Day to day seemed hard enough. Who cared about the future? Looking back on it, I did.  


I have been looking for more fascinating first lines, but they’re hard to come by. Try it yourself sometime.

Meanwhile, let your mind wander over a favorite line here this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.