Sunday, October 6, 2024

You Can Count On This


I once asked Mom, “What is your favorite Bible verse?”
She immediately answered, “Great peace have they who love thy law: And nothing shall offend them” (Psalm 119:165, KJV).

As a minister’s wife for fifty years, I’m sure there were plenty of times this verse helped her. Offensive things can be odors, actions, or words. But I think words take the prize.

I tried to follow Mom’s example. God’s word was my peace, and I wanted to please Him above all others. But I also appreciate the wisdom of Solomon in that there is . . . a time to be silent and a time to speak (*Ecclesiastes 3:7b, BSB).

I was reminded of Mom’s verse this week as I studied Psalm 119. Perhaps you know that this Psalm is the longest chapter in the Bible. If we could read it in the original Hebrew, we would see that there are twenty-two sections, each one beginning with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. I so enjoy these small nuggets of God’s word.

I stopped to consider Psalm 119:160 this week. The New Living Translation (*NLT) says: The very essence of your words is truth; all your regulations will stand forever. I don’t know about you, but I’m having a hard time knowing who’s telling the truth these days.

What a relief to know I can read God’s word and trust what it says. It’s not ever going to become obsolete since God’s word will stand truthfully forever. We are cautioned to be people of truth as well. First John 2:3-6 says if we say we love God, but don’t keep His commandments we are liars, there’s no truth in us.

Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). Could it be any plainer?

You can’t count on what you don’t know. Are you reading your personal Bible daily?

Time is valuable. Consider your earthly and heavenly priorities. The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever (Isaiah 40:8).

BSB: The Holy Bible, The Berean Standard Bible, Copyright 2022 by Bible Hub, Used by Permission, All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

KJV: The Holy Bible, King James Version, The World Publishing Company, New York, USA, Used by permission.

NLT: The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream, Illinois, Copyright 2012, Used by Permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.