Sunday, June 4, 2023

Friends and Family


I come from a small family of 3 siblings.
We don’t live near each other, but we keep in touch. That’s the nice thing about our modern age.

When I was a caregiver for my father, the brother closest to me would drive a couple of hours to give me a day off. That was so much appreciated. If you have a family caregiver, please be aware they need a break now and then.

Making new friends as we grow older may seem challenging, but it’s worth the effort. At one point we ministered in a church that had a large influx of winter visitors. The thing I admired about them was their desire to be active and make new friends.

Our church flourished as these people were willing to take responsibility and leadership for many activities. They set a great example for those of us following in their footsteps.

Now that I’m retired, I’ve had more time to contemplate the value of family and friends. Proverbs 27:10 (NKJV) makes 3 points regarding these 2 groups: (1) Do not forsake your own friend or your father’s friend, (2) Nor go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity, and (3) Better is a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.    

I value my friends. I would not want to forsake them, but my father and his friends are long gone. As for going to my brother’s house on a day of calamity, I think that sounds like a disaster that would probably preclude a long drive.

I live in a neighborhood where people watch out for one another, but besides that, I have made friends in my church and community. Add these to the friends I keep in touch with from past locations, and I am greatly blessed.

Family is a given, but how are you doing in the Friends Department? Here’s a secret . . . make the first move . . . don’t wait for them to do it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.